“It’s only after you’ve stepped outside your comfort zone that you begin to change, grow, and transform.”
― Roy T. Bennett
I adore early mornings! To be able to slowly sip on my coffee in silence; knowing the world is still sleeping brings a lot of peace and serenity to the start of my day. I try to make time for myself before I head to work and the reason for this is because I rarely have a good day when I’ve rushed to work, with no time for myself, coffee or breakfast, but the reality is, sometimes I stay up till the early mornings pondering about my life and what is to come that 11 o’clock easily turns into 3 AM… and lets be honest here, I would much rather take an extra hour of sleep than have one of my typical mornings after a night of very little sleep. For those days, I always like having some homemade bars
to grab on my way out for breakfast- this way I’m not a grumpy little monster to anyone I come into contact with. I’m sure we are all familiar with the word “hangry”, that is literally me if I don’t have breakfast… who I am kidding! that’s often me when I haven’t eaten for too long. One of my go-to recipes to have throughout the week to have in the mornings (with coffee is the best combo), before a workout or if I’m a bit peckish at work, are my “banana oat bars with strawberry chia seed jam”. It’s packed with flavour, fibre, protein and it’s damn right delicious! If you want to learn how to make this quick & easy recipe, keep on reading!
- There is a separate post for my Strawberry Chia Seed Jam on my blog!!
- 3 Ripe banana’s
- 2 Cups of gluten free Oats (Regular oats will work too)
- 2 Tbsp Almond butter
- 1/2 Cup of Unsweetened Coconut flakes
- 1 Tsp of Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup of finely chopped Pecans
- 2 Tbsp of Agave
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
Prep & Cook time 45 Mins
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°F
- Coat an 8×8 pan (I used a lasagna dish so that my bars were thick) with your coconut oil
- Mash your bananas in a bowl until it becomes a liquid with chunks of banana
- Throw your pecans and oatmeal in a blender until it becomes a powder like texture
- Throw all your dry ingredients into a bowl (Pecan & oatmeal mixture, cinnamon, 1/4 of your coconut flakes (the rest will be for the coating on top of the bars) & mix everything up!
- Throw in all your wet ingredients into your dry bowl (Almond butter, agave, & banana’s) & mix it all up!
- The texture should almost be like cookie dough, take your mixture and press it down into your 8×8 pan filling each corner and creating a flat surface. I wanted thick bars, which is why I used a pan with hight, if you want thin bars you can use a 8×8 cookie sheet.
- This is optional, but it totally makes these bars that next level DELICIOUS! Take your Strawberry Chia Seed Jam and put a thick layer on top of your mixture & sprinkle the left over coconut flakes on top!
- Pop it in the oven for 20 mins.
- Take it out and allow it to cool in the fridge.
- Cut into squares or bars & remember to refrigerate them!
You have to try these bars with a delicious cup of Joe in the mornings!
Hope you guys enjoyed this delicious recipe & if you try it, let me know what you think!
“One’s destination is never a place, but always a new way of seeing things”
Enjoy & Be fearless friends